Ursus Wins Crown Award

Columbia University’s Columbia Scholastic Press Association awarded Ursus a Crown Award for its coverage during the 2019-2020 school year.

For the fifth time in seven years, the Columbia Scholastic Press Association’s awarded “Ursus” with its prestigious Crown Award. In March 2021, the CSPA will award Ursus with either a Gold or Silver Crown Award for its print issues from the 2019-2020 school year. 

According to the CSPA website, the Crown award is the “highest recognition given by the CSPA to a student print or digital medium for overall excellence.” This means that Ursus “ranks among the best in student journalism.”

“I think it’s important for people outside of the building to recognize how hard you all [the Ursus staff] work, and the important role journalism plays in schools,” says Mr. StephenRexford, Ursusc0- advisor and 8th grade Red Pod Language Arts teacher.

Ms. Samantha Gettings, Ursus co-advisor and 6th grade Green Pod Language Arts teacher, states, “This award is a reflection of the dedication and hard work of our staff. It means a lot to me that our staff is recognized for their work because I see how much time they put into every story, every crossword puzzle, and every layout session.”