Ursus

Eagles Soar Over Patriots

Philly gets its ring. Zach Ertz (86) scores a game-winning touchdown to win the Super Bowl for the Eagles.

photos by richard mackson, usa today sports

Finnegan Courtney, Editor-In-Chief

The Super Bowl: An unofficial holiday where family and football fans gather to watch two teams battle it out for the Lombardi Trophy.

In 2017, we had what was called one of the greatest Super Bowls in history. This year, we added another.
The Philadelphia Eagles played against the New England Patriots. The Eagles had their chance to win their first-ever Super Bowl ring. The Patriots had the chance to win their sixth Super Bowl ring. The Eagles, however, won the game and their first ring, 41-33, by way of an incredible touchdown by the tight end, Zach Ertz, and a long field goal by their kicker, Jake Elliott.

Although the Patriots were favored, and Tom Brady threw for 505 passing yards, the Eagles pulled off the victory.

The Patriots came into the season with 19-0 hopes; they ended the season 15-4, including the loss in the Super Bowl.

They had loaded up in the offseason, mostly with the addition of receiver Brandin Cooks. In the first game of the season, 19-0 hopes were lost when they were upset by the Kansas City Chiefs.
The Patriots, however, would come back and be the first seed in the AFC, thanks in part to questionable calls in favor of the Patriots in games against the New York Jets, the Buffalo Bills and, most notably, the Pittsburgh Steelers.

They, however, rolled through the divisional round, 35-14 against the Tennessee Titans and came back in the Conference Round against the Jacksonville Jaguars, while Tom Brady played with a hand injury.
Remember the questionable calls in the regular season for the Patriots? It came back to bite them in the Super Bowl when Zach Ertz scored the game-winning touchdown.

A similar catch was made by the Steelers’ Jesse James that was overturned and gave the Patriots a win. The Eagles’ win put the final nail in the coffin for the Pats as they walked off not champions.
The Eagles weren’t expected to make the playoffs. They proved everyone wrong and went 16-3, including the Super Bowl win. They signed receivers Alshon Jeffery and Torrey Smith in the offseason and headed into the 2017 season with low expectations. The Eagles got off to a good start, going 10-1 until they took a loss to the Seattle Seahawks.

It went downhill from there, as their MVP-candidate quarterback, Carson Wentz, went down for the season with a torn ACL. It was a tough road to victory for the Eagles, as they turned to their backup quarterback Nick Foles, who hadn’t played a game this season. The Eagles somehow still hung onto the top seed in the NFC playoffs, but they weren’t favored in any playoff game. They played against the Atlanta Falcons, the Minnesota Vikings and the Patriots.

Nevertheless, they persisted until the clock said :00 on the Super Bowl scoreboard in Minneapolis.
There was celebration for Philly and heartbreak for Boston, as the so-called “Evil Empire” wasn’t able to fire their Death Star to annihilate the flying eagle from the sky. Fortunately, the Eagles had a Luke Skywalker in the form of Nick Foles. Yes, the backup quarterback became a hero in Philly as he threw six touchdowns in the three playoff games and took a team that was thought dead as a doornail in the first round. They did not get shot down by any team. They soared, straight to being the world champions.

19 Comments

19 Responses to “Eagles Soar Over Patriots”

1. Justin on February 14th, 2018 1:32 pm

I thought overall it was a really good article it gave some good information about the patriots and the eagles and there season so far but since it was about the super bowl I think it could of had some more info about the super bowl.

2. Gideon Rotem on February 15th, 2018 9:43 am

Eagles deserve to win that SuperBowl. I have been an Eagles fan since 2009 and I have all the players autographs, including DeSaun Jackson and Michael Vick.

3. Jake Coniglio on February 15th, 2018 9:56 am

I agree. This was one of my favorite Super Bowls to watch other than the Giants Super Bowl win in 2012. This was a great article too!

4. Anna on February 15th, 2018 9:58 am

Great article, the facts are great about all of the touchdowns. I thought it was really good, and important, that you included not just the Superbowl facts, but games before, leading up to the Superbowl. I think maybe it could have used some more facts about the Patriots.

5. Eitan on February 15th, 2018 10:05 am

I disagree with your opinion that the Eagles were heavy underdogs. For one thing the Patriots had one of the worst defenses in the league (28’th overall to be exact). In the words of the greatest coach of all time Vince Lombardi ” Offense wins games, defense wins championships.” Also the Eagles had a top 5 ranked offense and defense. The Eagles also didn’t just have Carson Wentz on offense. They also had Jay Ajayi, Nelson Aghalor, Alshon Jeffery, etc… Nick Foles is also better than some starting qb’s in the league such as Deshone Kizer, Jay Cutler, Josh Mccown, Jameis Winston, and as much as it pains me to say this Tyrod Taylor (I’m a Bills fan), etc… In conclusion the Eages weren’t as heavy underdogs as you described in the article.

6. Finnegan Courtney on February 15th, 2018 2:01 pm

I disagree with your opinion about the Eagles being favored in the Super Bowl. 1. They were not favored in any of their three playoff games and as a #1 seed. 2. The Patriots were coming off a Super Bowl win last year and the Patriots were favored by 5.5 points. And finally, Nick Foles came out of nowhere after Wentz tore his ACL. He played sub-par for some games during the regular season, and no one expected his terrific performance in the NFC championship game. Plus, the patriots defense had improved over the season.

7. Katherine Spada on February 15th, 2018 10:19 am

I think this is a really good article and it gave a lot of important info about the Patriots and the Eagles during their seasons this year. I do agree that the article needs a little more information on the Super Bowl but otherwise, I really enjoyed reading it.

8. Daisy Fording on February 15th, 2018 12:02 pm

I really enjoyed the way you hooked the reader by writing about a topic that many people know about and your title was really creative. The way that you expanded on the topic was really interesting.

9. Presley on February 15th, 2018 12:09 pm

Overall I think it was a great article. I like how you added a lot of detail about the game and the certain players. Also I like how you described the eagles as the underdogs because, this was the first Super bowl win! Another great thing about your article was how you described the plays in the game, and the score while you were describing the play

10. Annabel de Swart on February 15th, 2018 12:17 pm

I think this is a really good article! It give a lot of information about both teams.

11. arthur on February 15th, 2018 2:24 pm

I agree with you when you say that the Eagles were underdogs even though they were ranked top 5 in offense and defense. I barely even new that the Eagles team existed until this season. I love this article and it definitely was one of the greatest super bowls to watch..

12. Alex the Fortnite God on February 15th, 2018 2:28 pm

This was a great article that gave a lot of information about the super bowl. I enjoyed the game very much, though every time someone scored I was happy and sad, (Given I’m a Giants fan) I liked this article very much.

13. Jack Geller on February 15th, 2018 2:29 pm

I think that this was a great article, the Eagles played a great game. The New England Patriots had a bad game, but Tom Brady threw for a lot of yards. Nick Foles showed up Tom Brady on his touchdown catch, and Tom Brady missed it.

14. Jack Geller on February 15th, 2018 2:37 pm

Overall, this was a great article, I liked all the detail in this article. It was very great, but you should have put in more info on the super bowl, not other stuff.

15. Ben Burmeister on February 15th, 2018 2:39 pm

I think this is a great article but I think that putting the details about the super bowl would have been better at the end after talking about the regular season and the playoffs.

16. Tanner Chlupsa on March 6th, 2018 8:55 am

I think that it was a very good article but I honestly think that you were only talking about the patriots the whole time and you just wrote a lot of more facts like the patriots were going to go 19 and 0

17. Jared on March 6th, 2018 10:47 am

I agree that the eagles were the underdogs and I totally thought they were going to lose after Carson Wenzt went down, but they pulled away with the victory. The game could have gone either way because there were some calls in favor of the eagles that weren’t true in some people’s opinion.

18. Derek on March 6th, 2018 10:47 am

I liked the article because it was able to describe their goals before the seasons and the path it took them to get to the super bowl which included injury’s. I also liked how this article described when the super bowls game changing moments happen.

19. SIA on March 6th, 2018 10:58 am

That touchdown that the eagles made was not a real one. He hit the ground before he got into the end zone. :(:(:(:(:((:(:(:O:O

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Eagles Soar Over Patriots

Sports

R.I.P. Defense

• Eagles Soar Over Patriots

Sports

An Amazin’ Start and A Bronx Bummer

• Eagles Soar Over Patriots

Sports

The Individual Effort to Swim in Sync

• Eagles Soar Over Patriots

Sports

Super Ads Amuse Fans

• Eagles Soar Over Patriots

Sports

Students Drawn to Fencing’s Physical, and Mental Demands

• Eagles Soar Over Patriots

Sports

Taking a Knee During Anthem Draws Attention

• Eagles Soar Over Patriots

Sports

Taking Climbing to Another Level

• Sports

Mets and Yankees Trade Places

• Eagles Soar Over Patriots

Sports

Is Turf Making Us Sick?

• Eagles Soar Over Patriots

Sports

Diving into Westport Water Rats

Bedford Middle School's Scholastic News Source
Eagles Soar Over Patriots