Ursus

• February 14No School Friday (Staff Development)

BMS Ends Work Over Breaks

Mrs.+Caroline+Davis+reviewing+projects+that+were+scheduled+for+completion++keeping+school+breaks+work+free+and+family+focused.+
Mrs. Caroline Davis reviewing projects that were scheduled for completion  keeping school breaks work free and family focused.

Mrs. Caroline Davis reviewing projects that were scheduled for completion keeping school breaks work free and family focused.

James Fiffer

James Fiffer

Nikhil Kanthan, Staff Writer

Don’t like homework or school projects interrupting your relaxing school break? Well, you’re in luck!

Recently, an email was sent by the superintendent to all the teachers at BMS about a new policy. What is it? The policy says that assigning projects over school breaks is prohibited.

What does this mean? This means no school-related assignments can be assigned over any school break and until three days after the break has ended. However, though homework cannot be assigned over the break, it can be assigned right after the break has ended. For example, if a break ended on Sunday and you got back to school on a Monday, no projects would be allowed to be assigned until Wednesday, but your teacher could allocate homework right after break.

That’s great, but who created this new policy? “It was the entire staff,” said school principal Dr. Adam Rosen. “I reviewed the email and they [the staff] were thankful and supportive. I also shared the policy with schools outside of Westport.”

“It was the superintendent and the principals from each school,” said Vice Principal Mrs. Jacqueline Mellin.

Evidently, the policy couldn’t have been in operation right away, so there was some steps to take to get used to this, right?

“They [teachers] all had practiced the policy,” explained Dr. Rosen. Consequently, the teachers were well practiced and they had fully planned out everything in the year, which means there shouldn’t be any impacts on the education students should receive.

What do students think?

“I think it’s good. Kids can enjoy their holiday and be with their family,” said 7th grader Sebastian Gikas.

“I do like that, so you can spend time with your family. You get homework for the whole year. When you don’t get anything over break, it’s nice,” said another 7th grader, Jason Capozuca.
Though you may be delighted about this new policy, teachers may find it harder to plan out the school year.

This policy can affect the way teachers plan out the year, and teachers need to account for breaks where no schoolwork can take place and schedule assignments during the regular school year.
“It makes teachers have to map out long-term goals,” said Mr. Andrew Zold, a 7th grade social studies teacher. “It’s helpful to remind people that there are lots of things besides homework. I think it’s a reasonable policy.”

The policy hopes to allow for teachers and students alike to focus on other things besides school work. “We all agree that teachers, and students, need a break. Breaks are a time to enjoy with family, and focus on your family and not stressing about school work,” said Mrs. Mellin.
“This policy was designed to communicate that everyone needs a break in the clearest possible manner, to say that this is the case, and clarify communication from the school to community.” Dr. Rosen added.

Both reasons were major contributors in making the policy something that the staff could agree to.
In conclusion, the policy was put in to communicate the practice that all the staff had been doing, and that it was something that we all need sometimes – a work-free break.