Ursus

‘Stranger Things’ Leaps Out of the Upside Down and into Middle Schoolers’ Lives

The stars of the show are middle schoolers, which makes “Stranger Things” relatable to many at Bedford.

Netflix

Netflix

Finnegan Courtney and Betti Kobak, Staff Writers

“Stranger Things” seems to be a fan favorite for teenagers and adults everywhere, but what makes this television show so extraordinary that makes it a global phenomenon?

“I like it because it’s exciting and that makes me want to watch more,” said seventh grader Elliot Klein.

“Stranger Things” was written by the Duffer Brothers. The first season aired on July 15, 2016 on Netflix. Viewers of the show could not get enough, and were constantly waiting for the new season to arrive. Season two recently aired on October 27, 2017 on Netflix as well.

What makes this show so compelling is the concept of science fiction involved. There is a supernatural element to an ordinary town in Indiana.

The plot takes place in 1983, and for middle schoolers, the show has a special connection.

“The main characters look like us and do stuff we would do,” said seventh grader Ty Levine.

The main characters are four teenage boys who are best friends, Dustin Henderson (Gaten Matarazzo), Will Byers (Noah Schnapp), Mike Wheeler (Finn Wolfhard), and Lucas Sinclair (Caleb Mclaughlin). One day, Will Byers mysteriously goes missing and it is up to the three boys to find him. Along their journey, they meet a strange girl named Eleven (Millie Bobby Brown). Eleven has powers, and you know when she uses them because her nose starts to bleed.

The boys are convinced that she is connected to the disappearance of Will, so they ask her to help them. What these kids do not realize is how much trouble they will be getting themselves into, and that finding Will just might lead to them seeing some unimaginable things.

Season two takes place one year after season one. Just when no one thought season one could be topped, the release of season two found a way.

New characters were introduced and the plot continued.

The only question now is, when will season three appear on Netflix?

Season three drops in the summer of 2018, so there is a long break in order to catch up and watch the first two seasons.

“Stranger Things” shows adults a glimpse of their childhood, kids a glimpse of the past, and the world a glimpse of Demigorgons, mysteries, Eggos and an incredible show for all ages to see.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “‘Stranger Things’ Leaps Out of the Upside Down and into Middle Schoolers’ Lives”

1. Theresa Vandis on February 15th, 2018 9:21 am

This article has a lot of detail about what the show is about. I like how you put all the characters and their actors into it.

[Reply]

2. Emmy Marcus on February 15th, 2018 9:26 am

Great job with this article, I really enjoyed reading about how this show evolved into something so popular. I myself can relate to loving this show and I am happy that you guys wrote about it to let other people know how AMAZING “Stranger Things” is!

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• ‘Stranger Things’ Leaps Out of the  Upside Down and into Middle Schoolers’ Lives

A & E

All will Love ‘Love, Simon’

A & E

More Marvel Heroes Create Marvelous Movie

A & E

Students Get a Glimpse into Musical Creativity

A & E

A DC Full of Conspiracy, Politics, and Threats

A & E

Love’s Power to Cross Borders

A & E

A Night of Bedford Talent

A & E

The Force is Strong in this Franchise

A & E

Marvel v. DC: Superheroes Battling for your Attention

A & E

Bedford Acting Group Follows the Yellow Brick Road

A & E

We are Not in Kansas Anymore; We are at BMS

Bedford Middle School's Scholastic News Source