Ursus

The Little Fungus That Caused Big Problems

Black mold under the microscope

Black mold under the microscope

Leilani Fleming, Staff Writer

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.


Email This Story






Black mold (also known as Stachybotrys atra or Stachybotrys chartarum) is one of the most infamous types of toxic molds because it contains mycotoxins.

Mycotoxins are any type of toxic substance that a fungus produces. Black mold is a greenish-black mold with a consistency like gelatin, and it is also slimy. If it’s water source runs out, it might look dry and powdery.

According to healthfulhome.com, black mold may cause respiratory problems, skin inflammation, hemorrhage, irritation of the mucous membranes, damage to internal organs, mental impairment, fatigue, nausea, and immune system suppression.

It often forms in warm areas where there is a lot of moisture. The mold needs a lot of moisture for at least a week before it can grow. This mold grows on material with a low nitrogen content and a high cellulose content, including fiberboard, plasterboard, paper, dust, and lint–all things in ample supply in schools.

People are advised to call in an expert to identify the mold, and if it is toxic black mold, they should not try to remove it. This is because the mold could release more harmful spores into the air if disturbed.
It is better to leave it to the experts. Toxic black mold can cause permanent damage to your health, and can even kill you in extreme amounts.

The longer you are around this type of mold, the more damage it will do to your health.
There were severe effects at Coleytown Middle School. Sara De Pinho, a sixth grader who was at Coleytown, explained the symptoms of the mold, talking about how there was a long line to nurse’s office, and there were many people with stuffy noses or throats that got clogged up.
Some of the more severe symptoms included fainting. She added, “Even one teacher fainted. I remember, I was walking through the hallway to go to the bathroom, and I just see someone randomly faint in the hallway, and so I asked to go to the nurse’s office. They bring her in and just say, ‘Oh, we’ll add her to the list.’”

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Leave a Comment

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.




Navigate Left
  • The Little Fungus That Caused Big Problems

    Features

    Cold and Flu Season Arrives

  • The Little Fungus That Caused Big Problems

    Features

    Which Tree is for Thee

  • The Little Fungus That Caused Big Problems

    Features

    Taking Notes by Hand

  • The Little Fungus That Caused Big Problems

    Features

    Science Curriculum Emphasizes Thinking, Not Memorizing

  • The Little Fungus That Caused Big Problems

    Features

    Four Teachers Reveal Their Hidden Interests

  • The Little Fungus That Caused Big Problems

    Features

    Maker Faire Highlights Innovation

  • The Little Fungus That Caused Big Problems

    Features

    Science Olympiad Wins States

  • The Little Fungus That Caused Big Problems

    Features

    Q and A with a Former Resource Officer

  • The Little Fungus That Caused Big Problems

    Features

    Fortnite ‘Splodes at BMS

  • The Little Fungus That Caused Big Problems

    Features

    As-salt-ing the Environment

Navigate Right
Bedford Middle School's Scholastic News Source
The Little Fungus That Caused Big Problems