Ursus

Taking a Knee During Anthem Draws Attention

Eric Reid and Colin Kaepernick kneel during a preseason football game protesting police brutality.

Sportillustrated.com

Sportillustrated.com

Evan Trock, Staff Writer

Last football season, NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick refused to stand during the national anthem.

He did this to protest the killing of unarmed African Americans by white police officers. His contract expired at the end of the year last year, and he has not played since; however, other players are continuing this protest this year.

These protests received moderate media coverage until the President Donald Trump weighed in on the controversy at a political rally in Alabama in September, and while using profanity suggested that these players should be fired for not standing during the national anthem.

Some people think that what Colin Kaepernick did was bad and unpatriotic; some think it helps show what racial problems we have in this country.
At our school, there is a variety of opinions that support both sides of the debate.

“I think it’s disrespectful. The anthem is not about your rights, it’s for the people who protect them,” said 8th grade student, Nick Augeri.

However, Krishin Wadhawni believes differently. “I think they can do anything they want. I really don’t care. It’s not like I stand up off my couch when it is playing on TV.”
According to a poll conducted by the PBS Newshour, 46 percent of people agree with the president and that they shouldn’t kneel during the anthem. The opposition says that these players are just exercising their First Amendment rights.

Clearly, no matter how you feel about this issue, people seem to have an emotional reaction.
There are a number of factors including how people feel about the flag, the national anthem, the First Amendment, and racial injustice.

17 Comments

17 Responses to “Taking a Knee During Anthem Draws Attention”

1. Cameron Mann on February 15th, 2018 9:49 am

I like how you guys included why the players are doing this, and how many people believe on one side over the other.

2. Kellen on February 15th, 2018 9:49 am

I think that they should stand for the anthem for the people who serve ,but i think that they should do other acts to stand up for their rights.

3. Liam Donaldson on February 15th, 2018 2:26 pm

I agree with you. they definitely should stand for the anthem, but they also should stand up for their rights.

4. Apurv Sharma on February 15th, 2018 9:52 am

i like the part when you told that Colin Kaepernick refused to stand during the national anthem because you told us why he did it and it was good to know.

5. Carly on February 15th, 2018 10:22 am

I liked your article because i learned some new things then i knew before and now i understand why they really do that

6. Eitan on February 15th, 2018 10:48 am

I disagree that it’s unpatriotic because soldiers fight to give us that freedom as free Americans. They have the right to protest. It’s patriotic to stand up to the unfairness in this country; they have had to deal with as long as America has been a country

7. Sam on February 15th, 2018 12:20 pm

I like the way you guys put together this article. I completely agree that Colin Kaepernick is sending a good message, but I believe that there could be a different way to send the message he’s trying to send.

8. Alex St. Andre on March 6th, 2018 1:30 pm

I agree with you because Colin Kaepernick has the 1st amendment to back him up but he could send the message in a different way

9. Zane Abdelsadek on March 6th, 2018 8:25 am

I think that what Colin was doing is right and that people need to do something about racism in this country.

10. Jeremy on March 6th, 2018 10:46 am

I think these players have a reason for why they are kneeling and I understand their reasoning but I still do not agree with how they are handling the issue.

11. James Horton on March 6th, 2018 10:49 am

I think that I am on both sides because he doing for his people but then it is very rude to the country so I think that I would place in between this debate but I still would agree on both sides. I liked how you focused on Colin Kaepernick perspective.

12. Henry Manning on March 6th, 2018 10:55 am

I think it is good how you showed both sides and used factual evidence to support them.

13. Charlotte on March 6th, 2018 11:00 am

I agree with you, but they should still be standing up (no pun intended) for what they think is right.

14. Lucas Carpi on March 6th, 2018 12:05 pm

I liked that you used different opinions from people.
    I think that it was disrespectful to kneel and that if he wanted to protest he should have protested a different way.

15. Carson Mitchell on March 6th, 2018 12:10 pm

I think that the players should stand for the anthem because it shows that they care for the country.

16. Tristan on March 6th, 2018 1:31 pm

The football players don’t realize that when they take a knee they aren’t honoring the people who serve for us. It is good that they are standing up for what they think is right but they need to do it in a different manner.

17. james on March 6th, 2018 7:28 pm

I think that I am neutral in this situation because the player is standing up for his writes but he is disrespecting his country. so that is why I am neutral in this case.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Taking a Knee During Anthem Draws Attention

Sports

An Amazin’ Start and A Bronx Bummer

Sports

The Individual Effort to Swim in Sync

Sports

Super Ads Amuse Fans

Sports

Eagles Soar Over Patriots

Sports

Students Drawn to Fencing’s Physical, and Mental Demands

Sports

Taking Climbing to Another Level

• Sports

Mets and Yankees Trade Places

Sports

Is Turf Making Us Sick?

Sports

Diving into Westport Water Rats

Sports

Softball is Having Fewer Batters up

Bedford Middle School's Scholastic News Source